Travel to Prague
Day 4 Prague (Vyšehrad and Nove Mesto(New Town)) - Barcelona
Vyšehrad and the surrounding area became part of Prague in 1883. The fortress was built in the tenth century on a hill over the Vltava River. When the dynasty Pŕemyslid dinasty settled on the current site of Prague Castle, the two castles maintained opposing spheres of influence for approximately two centuries. When Charles IV started building the Castle of Prague as it is now in the early fourteenth century Vyšehrad was abandoned as royal house. He underwent a renovation in the seventeenth century, when the Habsburg monarchy took over the Czech lands after the Thirty Years War and became a training center for the Austrian army.
Prague - Vysehrad
In the Baroque era was incorporated within the city walls. Within the area of the castle include the Basilica of San Pedro and San Pablo (rebuilt in the neo-Gothic in the late nineteenth century) and Vyšehrad cemetery, built in 1869, which contains the remains of many famous people in history Czech, among them Antonín Dvoŕák and Bedŕich Smetana. That is why this cemetery is regarded as the National Pantheon. In the middle of the Vyšehrad Gardens we can also find the Romanesque Rotunda of St. Martin of the eleventh century.
Prague - Basilica of St Peter and St Paul
Nové Město (New Town) is an extension of the Old City dating back to 1348. The new space in the city was commissioned by Charles IV for commercial activities, utility currently preserved. Its main attractions are the Dancing house, Wenceslas Square, the Powder Tower, Na Prikope street, the Municipal House or the National Theatre.
Prague - Dancing house ("Ginger and Fred")
Back to the city center we passed the "dancing house", also called "Ginger and Fred". It is a modern building located beside the river on the corner of Rašínovo nábřeží and Resslova street and commissioned by ING to architect Frank Gehry, whose construction began in 1994 and was completed in 1996. Just about 100 meters along the river found the Slavic Island (Ostrov), which highlights the tower belonging to the hydroelectric plant.
Prague - Statni Opera
The building of the Prague State Opera (Opera Statni) is barely 200 meters from the Narodni muzeum. It was built in 1888 as the new German theater. Between 1949 and 1989 was known as the Smetana Theater. After the Velvet Revolution in November 1989, efforts to restore independence to the Smetana Theatre were crowned with success on 1st April and the Prague State Opera was established there and the theater changed its name again. The building can only be visited by going to one of his shows (and very reasonable prices). We were able to enjoy Tosca. The other great building where you can hear opera is the National Theater (Narodni divadlo).
Praga - Wenceslas Square
Wenceslas Square (Václavské náměstí) was built during the founding of the New Town by Charles IV in 1348. In 1890 was built on top of the square the vast National Museum building which until now dominates the square. In 1913 was built on top of the square the monument of St. Wenceslas on horseback. In November 1989, large rallies were held in the square in the opening of the "Velvet Revolution" which toppled the communist regime in the country. Wenceslas Square is 750 meters across and 63 meters in width at the top and 48 meters at the bottom. At present large markets are held here on Easter and Christmas.
Prague - Narodni muzeum
The National Museum (Národní muzeum) is one of Prague´s main museums. It occupies a neo-Renaissance building situated at the top of Wenceslas Square. Its central hall also serves as the pantheon of great Czech. Founded in 1818 as patriotic Bohemian Museum (Vlastenecké muzeum v čechách). In 1848 it was named Czech Museum (České muzeum) and from 1854 to 1919 the Czech Royal Museum (Muzeum Království českého). The building occupied by the museum is the work of Josef Schulz, architect of the Prague National Theatre, built in the same period (1885-1890).