Travel to Slovakia
Day 9 Banská Bystrica - Hronsek - Zvolen - Banská Štiavnica - Banská Bystrica (106 Km)
Banská Bystrica: Slovaks recognized this town as the birthplace of the Slovak National Uprising (Slovenské národné povstanie or SNP) against the Nazis and their puppet government in Slovakia. Nám SNP, once the market square, is now seen full of town houses of various colors. At number 16th, Benicky's house has paints and a Venetian-style loggia. Thurzo Palace is located at number 4th in the square. To the east is the clock tower, from sixteenth century, from which it has a great view of the square.
Banská Bystrica - Nám SNP
The castle of the city is a set of civil and religious buildings of the twelfth and thirteenth century. It is part of the historic city center. The walls of this complex measuring 3700 meters. Also there were 18 bastions and 9 gates (4 of them inside the wall). From this system of fortifications have been preserved until this days a little more than a mile from the walls and seven bastions, three of which are part of the castle area.
Banská Bystrica - The barbican
The Barbican is the main and most visible monument of its fortifications. It has a bell tower. The oldest part of this building is from the first half of the fourteenth century. The Building of the Slovak uprising museum consists of two eccentric semicircles. In the space formed between both there is a space where you can find the monument to the Unknown Soldier and the eternal flame. Inside the building is the museum and around it weaponry used during World War II.
Hronsek - Wooden church
(in 13 Km.) Hronsek: The Wooden Churches of the Slovak Carpathian Mountains were inscribed by UNESCO as world heritage in the year 2008. These churches represent the typical architecture of this region of Europe. These churches belong to three religious denominations: Catholic, Protestant and Greek Orthodox. Hronsek Church is one of the 3 churches of the Protestant Slovaks registered in UNESCO. The church was built in a year just finished in October 1726. It was not built of whole logs as in the rest of wooden churches, if not using beams and boards. The church´s capacity is 1100 people seated and from all places you can see the pulpit of the pastor. Beside the church was built the same year a bell tower in the same style and is also inscribed by UNESCO.
Zvolen - Castle
(in 15 Km.) Zvolen: Zvolen castle was built by Louis I of Anjou, which was built as a gothic hunting castle. In its original form was completed in 1382, when he witnessed the engagement between his daughter Mary and Sigmund Luxemburger. By the year 1500 was built the outside fortification with four bastions round and a gateway. In the middle of the sixteenth century another plant was built with small windows and towers at the corners of the balcony. Around 1590 also was built a stronghold of artillery. The castle was rebuilt several times, but retains its Renaissance style. The castle was nominated as a national monument for its historical culture, the art and the values of architecture and was rebuilt in the 60´s of the twentieth century. The Slovak National Gallery is located in the castle, where presents her exhibitions.
Banská Štiavnica - Holy Trinity Square
(in 31 Km.) Banská Štiavnica: Coming to this city is returning to the Middle Ages. Within its territory there are 201 monuments considered Slovak cultural heritage. In 1993 he was listed by UNESCO, together with technical monuments in its surroundings as cultural heritage of humanity. The Slovak Mining Museum has 6 exhibitions. The most interesting exhibit is the Skanzen – outdoor mining museum. In this museum you can visit almost 2 km of a mine.
Banská Štiavnica - Old castle
The heart of the city is the Holy Trinity Square (Namestie Svätej Trojici), which is mostly surrounded by beautiful Renaissance houses. In the center of the square stands a monument that remembers the plague with statues of the Holy Trinity (morový stlp) built in s. XVIII, which commemorates the liberation of the plague in 1711. It is flanked by ancient palaces of German and Hungarian merchants, mine owners.
Banská Štiavnica - New castle
In the sixteenth century were done the major modifications to the city. In front of the menace that represented the turks, the city was walled with a double system of walls and fortified gates through them. At this time two fortifications were built in Renaissance style: The New Castle and the Old Castle (Nový Zámok and Starý Zámok). East of New Castle is the church of Our Lady of the Snows (Kostol Panny Márie Sneznej) and Piarg gate (Piargska brána), from fifteenth century, that was one of the six entries of the old wall.
Banská Štiavnica - Calvary
The religious monuments in the city are the Church of Santa Katarinav built in the late Gothic, he church of the ascension of the Virgin Mary and the Protestant church built in classical style. From the distance you can see the "Via Crucis", group of religious monuments built to remember the way of Jesus with the cross.
(in 47 Km.) We come back to Banská Bystrica