Travel to Paris
Day 4 Paris
Paris: We began the fourth day with the visit of the Latin Quarter, particularly with the Roman amphitheater of Arenes de Lutece, built at the end of the first century, it served as an arena for gladiatorial combats such as theater, a dual-use that only existed in Gaul. It was missing, buried by successive buildings, until it was unearthed in 1869. Today is perfectly restored (though not as big as the original), including a small garden.
Paris - Seine and Notre Dame
The Jardin des Plantes is a botanical garden open to the public. It was created in 1635 under the name of the Jardin du roi. It has an area of 23.5 hectares, which includes its avenue of 500 meters in length, with its rose garden with various subspecies of roses (170 varieties of roses in Europe) and greenhouses (The Winter Garden hot and humid (22 degrees), the Mexican species in arid environments (cactus, trees, ...) and the Australian. The Menagerie (House of beasts) is one of the oldest zoos in the world, established in 1795 and currently houses about 1,100 animals. Finally there is the alpine garden (with shrubs and herbaceous plants of the mid mountain) with more 2000 plants and the school of botany with 4500 varieties of shrubs and plants.
One of the recommendations made to all the tourists who visit Paris is a trip on the Seine with the famous Baton Mouche. You can dine on their deck while sailing under the various bridges of the river and gives the views of points as emblematic as the Eiffel Tower or Notre Dame.
Paris - Jardin du Luxembourg
Another of the treasures of the Latin Quarter is the set composed by the Palace du Luxembourg and the Jardin du Luxembourg. The Palace is the seat of the Senate, built between 1615 and 1624 to Maria de Medici. Has undergone several reforms, but its external appearance has remained almost intact. The Garden of Luxembourg, in neoclassical style, is the most popular and centrally located in the city. It´s in the sixth district of the neighborhood, a few meters from the Sorbonne and the Pantheon and its structure is formed on base of symmetrical streets surrounding the octagonal heart which is the pond.
Paris - Pantheon
Boulevard St-Germain is the most famous street of the left bank of the Seine. Its more than three kilometers due to the urban plan of Baron Hausmann. It is a street full of shops, cafes, restaurants, cinemas and libraries. The district has the oldest church in Paris, the church of St-Germain-des-Pres, from the year 542, when the king Childeberto ordered the construction of a basilica to preserve relics, then became a Benedictine abbey. The present church dates from the eleventh century, mixing some styles in it, still survives one of the original towers.
Paris - Place de la Bastille
The Pantheon is a monument whose construction began in 1764 and lasted 26 years, being one of the first signs of the Neoclassical France. Nestled in the mountains of Santa Genoveva, should be a church dedicated to the patron, though the French Revolution was the mausoleum for illustrious men of the fatherland (Montesquieu, Voltaire and Victor Hugo among others) as follows the registration of the frontispiece. Its construction was inspired by the Pantheon of Agrippa, Roman and the dome of St. Paul´s Cathedral in London. Another of the attractions it offers is to contemplate the famous Foucault Pendulum, which shows the oscillating rotary motion of the Earth.